Annoushka Annoushka Annoushka
This Is
Solid Gold
At a time when we are all increasingly conscious of what we are buying, I wanted to explain why when I started Annoushka 11 years ago, I made a conscious decision to design in solid 18ct gold.

By choosing not to dilute the material through plating techniques, I work in a precious metal that is endlessly recyclable. Gold mining accounts for the largest part of gold supply today—typically, 75% each year. However, the remaining 25% is made up of recycled gold of which 90% comes from jewellery. Gold in its pure state has very different characteristics to gold vermeil (plated gold) which in time will wear off and eventually disappear.
Annoushka
Gold in its simplest form has a unique position in history. From its formation spanning millennia, to its limitless lifespan going forward, gold, and by this, I mean solid gold, is eternal. Since the Mesopotamians forged the first jewellery in 3600BC paving the way for the Egyptians in 2,600BC, to today’s record prices, gold has never and will never lose its desirability, nor its intrinsic value.
Annoushka
Quality that’s hallmarked

What a lot of people don’t realise however, is that gold is not always used in a pure state. Historically one might have gauged the quality of gold jewellery by its carat—14ct, 18ct and so on, which is a measure that denotes the percentage of gold in that piece, and comes with some easily recognisable hallmarks. At Annoushka we use 18ct solid gold, hallmarked with the numbers 750, a mark provided by the Assay Office, the UK authority on precious metals. Gold vermeil, by contrast, is the name given to jewellery made from a base metal such as brass, copper, nickel and sterling silver which has been electronically plated with a layer of gold. The plating process itself requires a great deal of energy and often involves toxic chemicals like cyanide, but beyond the toxicity, by using gold in this way, jewellers are removing its intrinsic capacity to be re-purposed. The solution is not to provide the consumer with a lifetime re-plating guarantee, but to encourage jewellery designers, where possible, to use real gold, that can be treasured and passed down to future generations.
Annoushka
Annoushka
Annoushka
Honour our materials

In 2019 I was made an honorary Liveryman by London’s Goldsmiths Centre, an institution which celebrates the ancient craft of goldsmithing and the craftspeople who dedicate their lives to the bench. As a jeweller, designing in 18ct gold is a huge privilege, no substitute can ever compare to the unique and visceral magnetism of this precious material, the sense of magic and awe when you hold it in your hand. When I visit our workshop and talk to the men and women, some of whom I have worked with for 30 years, there is an unspoken sense of honouring the material through their craft. Maintaining the integrity of gold is fundamental to my work and reflected in the quality and detail, comfort and timelessness of my design.
Annoushka
“Solid gold
has never and will never lose its desirability,
nor its intrinsic
value”
I feel it’s integral to bring this to the fore for my customers, and so by buying solid gold they are making an investment in something which will last forever, not throwing money at a passing trend. Each piece of Annoushka jewellery is hallmarked and bears our unique makers mark which guarantees the quality of each individual piece now, and forever.

Annoushka

Shop 18ct Gold Jewellery

Annoushka
MORE TO EXPLORE
The very first design
Read now
Creative Instinct
Watch now
Magic of 18CT GOLD
Read now
This website uses cookies. We use our own and 3rd party cookies on this site to improve your experience and for personalised advertising. By clicking accept you consent to our use of cookies, or you can read our privacy policy and change your preferences here.